CHN Homestay Placement Coordinator (Toronto)
The Canada Homestay Network is a family-run, non-profit society. Over the years we’ve served tens of thousands of students from more than seventy countries, individually and in groups, aged 10 to 75. Canada Homestay Network was launched in 2000, to focus on the experience of international high school students and groups.
We now manage programs in over forty communities across Canada, from Charlottetown to Victoria. In any successful and growing organization, people make the difference. Our team is comprised of individuals dedicated to supporting one another. When you work with CHN, you work with a network of homestay professionals. Our combined experience of matching tens of thousands of students over the last 20 years lends our whole team the credibility and expertise that has earned us a reputation for excellence and professionalism that is unmatched in our industry.
Please note, CHN is a completely virtual organization with all employees working remotely from their home offices. It is important you are a self-starter, autonomous and motivated. You must be tech savvy as you will act as your own system administrator of your home office.
Reporting to the Regional Director, the Placement Coordinator (PC) focuses on making successful matches between the international students in our care and their host families. In doing so, the PC must have the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships. In addition, the PC will readily accept their role in helping to ensure CHN’s corporate accountability for stewardship of the common good and perseverance to achieve satisfactory outcomes for all our stakeholders. As a member of our regional and national Capacity Management teams, PC’s help to optimize our host recruitment and retention processes, to ensure that we enjoy mutually satisfying relationships with the numbers and types of hosts who are suitable and available for our students, especially during our peak matching season from May through August when flexible working hours are required. Flexible work hours include weekdays, weeknights and weekends.
The successful candidate must demonstrate trustworthy behavior, personal integrity, interpersonal skills and overall judgment that demonstrate competence for this work consistent with CHN’s vision and mission.
This position requires a home office setup that allows for work to be performed without unnecessary distractions, with a reliable high speed internet connection.
- Select suitable and available host families for students, based on the matching criteria negotiated with our clients and the preferences of students and hosts.
- Send confirmation letters to hosts and students, agents, and/or schools;
- Support community Relationship Managers (RMs) with relocations;
- Contribute to CHN’s reputation for professional, friendly, and prompt service at all times.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with hosts, by understanding and managing their expectations, timely communications and regular appreciation;
- Maintain accurate and confidential host profiles (including relevant and timely notes in the CHN database), in accordance with privacy laws;
- Review student applications to ensure that they are complete and accurate;
- Collaborate with community Relationship Managers, host families and students when working through homestay issues and respond to crisis situations in a caring and timely manner;
- Suggest improvements in the matching and host retention process
- Support community Relationship Managers with host education, student orientation, and school visits.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of relevant software, including: Google Sheets, Excel, Word/Pages, FileMaker Pro or databases in general, Skype, and VoIP softphones, email and webmail;
- Effective business writing skill and organizational skills, including attention to detail;
- Highly structured problem solving and decision making processes, based on successful experience in complex projects, including high expectations and tight timelines;
- Ability to work independently in a virtual office environment, take initiative, and use discretion in determining priorities;
- Enjoyment and successful experience in solving puzzles, identifying patterns and dependencies in situations with many moving parts;
- Positive and successful interpersonal experience in managing expectations and resolving conflict in a good way, especially among different ethnicities;
- Ability to work in a team and maintain and develop relationships with colleagues, international students and in many cases their agencies; host families; and our client partners in independent and publicly funded education;
- Knowledge of homestay policies and procedures;
- Successful experience in project planning, setting priorities and time management; and
- Ability to successfully obtain a police clearance .
- Open availability and flexible working hours including weekdays, weeknights and weekends;
- High speed internet access and at least 70GB of storage available if using a personal computer. All crucial data is maintained on the CHN server and associates are responsible for acquiring the bandwidth necessary to access this data and related functionality;
- A word processing application capable of reading and saving documents created in Microsoft Office Word;
- Adobe Reader (this is available as a free download from the Adobe website);
- USB headset (CHN recommends a high-quality headset, which can cost in the range of $40-50).
How to Apply
- Please email your resume and a covering letter stating your salary expectations to: chncareers at canadahomestaynetwork.ca before the closing date: January 31st 12:00pm MST
- When applying, please ensure that you outline how your training and experience specifically related the job requirement.
- SUBMITTED APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SAVED IN .doc, .docx OR .pdf
FORMAT WITH YOUR NAME IN THE FILENAME (for example: Joe_Smith.doc).
- Please state on your location and position you are applying for on the subject line of the email.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To be considered for this position, you MUST follow all instructions listed above. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICANTS WILL ONLY BE CONTACTED IF THEY ARE SELECTED TO PROCEED FURTHER IN THE PROCESS.
CANADA HOMESTAY NETWORK IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLES OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY.