Student Travel Documents

Studying in Canada? Make sure you have the right travel documents

To ensure your international study experience gets off to a smooth start, be sure to apply as early as possible for your Canadian study permit.

Important information from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for international, visiting or exchange students from visa-exempt countries (other than the U.S.).

If you plan to travel outside of Canada during the course of your studies, before your trip, always make sure that you have the proper, valid documents to re-enter the country. For more information, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

What is an eTA and why do I need it?

An eTA is an entry requirement for citizens from countries, other than the U.S., that do not need a visa to come to Canada. It is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires.

Do I need an eTA if I already have a study permit?

Yes! A study permit is not a travel document. However, beginning August 1, 2015, an eTA is automatically issued to you with your study permit. You will need to apply for an eTA separately only if:

  • your permit was issued before August 1, 2015;
  • you renewed or plan to renew your study permit and do not have a valid eTA
  • you got a new passport since you received your permit.

Please note that if you extended or renewed an existing study permit before May 1, 2017, you may need to apply separately for an eTA.

How do I apply for an eTA?

Applying for an eTA is a simple, inexpensive ($7 CAD) online process that takes just minutes to complete.

All you need to apply is a valid passport, a credit or a debit card, and an email address.

For more information or to apply, visit

Note: * Students from visa-exempt countries coming to Canada for a short-term study program (less than 6 months) do not need a study permit, but will need to apply.



Get in touch

  • DD slash MM slash YYYY
  • DD slash MM slash YYYY